[PLUG] NTFS on a USB flash drive?

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 27 08:45:17 UTC 2011

On 11/26/2011 11:11 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I went to Fry's today because I needed a new mouse with blue teeth.
> While there I found a Patriot brand 32 GB USB 3.0 flash drive for $20.
> When I got it home and plugged it in I found that it works fine, but
> Palimpsest says it is formatted NTFS.
>
> The packaging makes much of its claimed "up to" 60 MB/s read and
> 25 MB/s write speed, but says nothing of operating systems. Can Macs
> read NTFS? Is it wise to leave it NTFS?
>
> Also, although I have the latest 64-bit Fedora, my computer is over
> four years old, so I assume that the USB 3.0 won't do me any good until
> the day comes when I get a new computer with USB 3.0 ports. Am I right
> here?
Mac OSX can read NTFS but not write to it... There is a app called
MacFuse that makes writing to NTFS possible.
If you don't have USB 3.0 ports then your not going to benefit from the
speed of a USB 3.0 device and if you choose you
could format the thumbdrive and use another FS. I have USB 3.0 drives
that have USB 3.0 support and use Ext4.

--

Benjamin Kerensa
Team Lead, Ubuntu Oregon