[PLUG] NTFS on a USB flash drive?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Nov 28 21:09:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 08:17:45 -0800
Russell Johnson <russ at dimstar.net> dijo:

>On Nov 28, 2011, at 6:49 AM, Cummings, Roger wrote:
>
>> I don't own any Macs, but I frequently need to work with people who
>> do. If their Mac can't read my flash drive that's a serious problem.
>> Can Macs read/write ext3 or ext4 filesystems? I think I should just
>> reformat it FAT32 and be done with it.
>
>Not natively. I've read that you can mount ext3/4 partitions as ext2
>from the command line in os/x, but I have not tried this.

Thanks to all for the thoughts. I have reformatted it FAT32.

The only remaining question is why Patriot would have shipped the item
formatted NTFS in the first place. I have a couple of SD cards and
numerous USB flash drives, and they all came formatted FAT32. What was
Patriot thinking?

Maybe this is why I got a 32 GB USB 3.0 drive for $19.99. Lots of
customer returns = dump them.