[PLUG] VOIP phones for Asterisk

Patrick J. Timlick p.j.timlick at ieee.org
Mon Oct 3 15:43:37 UTC 2011

(PLUGers: I am answering Aaron's questions here, but the answers may be of
some general interest.  Also,  PLUGers like open(ness).)

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 01:14:26PM -0700, Patrick J. Timlick wrote:
> > I tried to connect an analog line to asterisk, with a linksys  little box
> > and then a relatively expensive PCI card but I had terrible echo on my
> line
> > which caused me to give up.
>
> Echo cancellation can be a bear.  Which PCI card?

I forget, no time to take the skin off my Asterisk Box right now either,
sorry.

>  > Commodity VOIP numbers are dirt cheap compared to PSTN.  Running mine
> over a
> > ADSL line is usually as good quality as an analog line, although there
> are
> > occasional glitches.  There are those that believe you need a better
> > internet connection to run reliable VOIP.
>
> A little QOS goes a long way.  Of course, bandwidth restriction at the
> gateway helps a lot.

I used a little QOS, to no avail.  The worst problem is once in a while I
call someone and they can't hear me.   Do you mean bandwidth restriction at
the gateway of everything else except VOIP?

> I noticed your email address.  You go to any IEEE meetings?

I haven't for a long time, but should.  How about you?