[PLUG] List Guidelines

Fernando Freire freire14 at up.edu
Tue Oct 4 02:26:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Jameson Williams
<jameson at jamesonwilliams.com> wrote:
> What is preventing our list administrators from removing the offending party
> from the subscribers list, and adding a regex for the offending domain to
> the ban list? The years of repeated violation of publicly stated list rules
> would justify this - and to do so could greatly benefit the quality of our
> transactions.

As Galen Sietz mentioned in a thread in PLUG-TALK, the list
administrators take a different tack to the situation:
http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/2004-May/032032.html

Banning even a single member from this list (no matter what side of
this issue you fall on) has the potential to snowball into something
much nastier; I'd hate to see a GNU/Linux mailing list degenerate into
a walled garden where discussion about free software is maintained by
a select few. The old adage goes "Live and let be", and that's exactly
what I do when reading this list, many times I ignore the originating
sender and focus on the content of the post, amazing right? If the
topic doesn't pertain and/or interest you then perhaps it is in your
best interest to leave it alone. This idle banter about degrading the
quality of the list etc, etc, is only affecting the bigots who choose
to focus on the actions of a solitary troll -- ignore it and move on!
I think we've beaten this horse long enough, can we please drop the
issue?

-FF-