[PLUG] List Guidelines

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 02:39:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Fernando Freire <freire14 at up.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Jameson Williams
> <jameson at jamesonwilliams.com> wrote:
> > What is preventing our list administrators from removing the offending
> party
> > from the subscribers list, and adding a regex for the offending domain to
> > the ban list? The years of repeated violation of publicly stated list
> rules
> > would justify this - and to do so could greatly benefit the quality of
> our
> > transactions.
>
> As Galen Sietz mentioned in a thread in PLUG-TALK, the list
> administrators take a different tack to the situation:
> http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/2004-May/032032.html
>
> Banning even a single member from this list (no matter what side of
> this issue you fall on) has the potential to snowball into something
> much nastier; I'd hate to see a GNU/Linux mailing list degenerate into
> a walled garden where discussion about free software is maintained by
> a select few. The old adage goes "Live and let be", and that's exactly
> what I do when reading this list, many times I ignore the originating
> sender and focus on the content of the post, amazing right? If the
> topic doesn't pertain and/or interest you then perhaps it is in your
> best interest to leave it alone. This idle banter about degrading the
> quality of the list etc, etc, is only affecting the bigots who choose
> to focus on the actions of a solitary troll -- ignore it and move on!
> I think we've beaten this horse long enough, can we please drop the
> issue?
>
> -FF-

I agree with all of that. But allow me to play devil's advocate for a bit.
Is it fair to new people coming on to the list to have to deal with this and
just
learn to deal with it their own way? Is it also in the list's best interest
if people find unsubscribing the least painful option? When you look at most
forums the moderators do their best to maintain a healthy environment for
the sharing of info, ideas, thoughts, opinions, and feelings. Maybe my BS
tolerance level is lower than most and maybe that is a personal flaw. But
sadly, I'm choosing to unsubscribe due to this one troll. I cringe each time
I see his name show up in my inbox. Best of luck to the rest of the
PLUGers...

Regards,

-MC-