[PLUG] CentOS/RHEL multimedia setup

Ali Corbin ali.corbin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 04:12:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> wrote:

> Has anyone here configured CentOS for multimedia playback as per these
> instructions?
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS
>
> If so, did you install the priorities plugin?  Did you configure a
> particular priority for RPMforge repository?
>
> thanks,
> galen

I installed a batch of multi-media applications on my centos5 box a number
of years ago.  I don't think that I used that particular page to help with
the process.  (It may well have been before it was written.)  In any event,
I didn't install the priorities plugin.  (Didn't know that it existed.)  And
in time I did have problems with the rpmforge repo serving up rpms that were
newer than what the centos repos had, and that caused dependency problems.
 I ended up disabling the rpmforge repo.

I've since switched to centos6.  I did find that page this time around, and
cut and paste chunks out of it to install what needed to be installed.  But
I still didn't install the priorities plugin.  And thus far, I haven't
needed it.  I installed centos6 and rpmforge-release in back in July, and
they've been playing nicely together ever since.

With that said, I'm not sure that I've seen an update from rpmforge in that
time.  I've seen plenty from centos, particularly after I installed the cr
repo.  It might be that centos6 is keeping up enough to stay ahead of
rpmforge.

Ali