[PLUG] List Guidelines

Robert Munro ramunro at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 4 22:27:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 10:09:32 "Michael R" <michael at jamhome.us> wrote:
<snip>
> Which brings an alternate solution to mind.? Rather than banning
> Robinson from the list have a process [...] append the subject line
> of all his messages with "! KNOWN TROLL !"
<snip>

Ever read "The Scarlet Letter"? Might as well shoot him, and be done.

I'm not a moderator of this list, nor even an actively participating
member of PLUG in terms of going to meetings or Free Geek on Sundays.

However, I do follow the list in digest form and sometimes attempt to
help others resolve problems they encounter with Linux. And I learn a
lot just reading the list, which helps me keep my own system running.

I think I was also the first person to object to Michael's rant about
the ReactOS people kicking him off their IRC channel, or whatever, on
the basis that he *knew* it was off-topic because he prefixed with an
[OT] flag, and it was about a crazy Russian Windows clone project and
had nothing to do with Linux. I wrote that it was inappropriate here.

Since then it's blown up, but I've stayed out of it and just watched,
but now I'm going to say some things and I will try to keep it brief.

The hint "civil and on-topic" apparently hasn't been well understood,
at least not by Michael. That means no politics, no religion, no how,
and maybe it could be made explicit, but I doubt that will help much.

Michael: I don't care what you might or might not believe, nor should
you care what I or anyone else on this list believes, or even makes a
passing joke about. That you did so was a trespass upon their rights,
and you know the Lord's Prayer, right? "Forgive us our trespasses..."

I think you owe Keith a public apology for having insulted him over a
word he used in just a joke. How dare you try to impose your beliefs?

For everyone else: I apologize for writing as such length, but I will
finish what I have to say. Ironically perhaps, I don't think the PLUG
list should ban Michael, unless and until he fails to learn from this
experience. It doesn't bother me to skip over his long posts on stuff
that I know nothing about, as it doesn't for any other member's posts.

But, I'm not running systems trying to do everything all at once, way
out in the puckerbrush. So if Michael has questions, let him ask 'em.

If he can't google and find answers, use man pages or learn how to do
troubleshooting, well, that's his problem. We can try to help, though,
because that's what a Linux user group is and we should live up to it.

However, if Michael refuses to apologize to Keith, I will say ban him.

There is nothing more dangerous than religious intolerance, and in far
too many parts of the world that gets people murdered. It is the evil,
and if Michael will not tolerate others then we should banish him now.

Regards,
Robert