[PLUG] Max Number of Terminals/CLIs

MJang mike at linuxexam.com
Wed Oct 5 04:00:41 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 20:34 -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 08:14:46PM -0700, MJang wrote:
> > For some reason, I can't find / (or google) the limit on the number of
> > terminals that you can open in a GUI. I assume the limit is on the
> > number of CLIs (e.g. if the limit is 100, I assume that I could open ten
> > terminals with 10 tabs each). I presume the limit is in some
> > configuration file someplace. Which file would it be?
>
> An XTerm session uses a pts device (in /dev/pts).  I don't know of a limit
> to the number of pts (other than max open files, /proc/sys/fs/file-max),
> but I think each pts uses a pty, which is limited by
> /proc/sys/kernel/pty/max
>
>   me at myhost:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/pty/max
>   4096
>
> Just curious, why do you ask?

Ahhhhh, that makes sense. It would incorporate remote connections too
(ssh, telnet, etc.) I'm actually in the middle of writing a book for
Solaris 11 (yeah I know, I should be at OOW now, but that's another
story).

But you've given me enough of a clue to point me to pt_cnt
in /etc/system, which if I understand correctly, has been dynamically
allocated since Solaris 8, starting with 48 and going up.

Appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Mike