[PLUG] SD cards always mount read-only

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Oct 7 20:43:33 UTC 2011

Fedora 14, x86_64 on Thinkpad T61.

About six months ago I bought a Transcend 32 GB SD card for my (then)
new Android phone. Foolishly I bought the mini size, not the micro
size. Before returning it I tried it in my laptop, only to discover
that it mounted read-only. I tried various things (now forgotten), but
failed to get it to mount read-write. Since it was the wrong size for
the phone I returned it to Amazon.

Then I bought a Transcend 32 GB micro SD card that came with an
adapter. Again, I tried to mount it in the laptop, but it also mounted
read-only. But when I put it in the phone I had no problems - Android
happily mounted it read-write. I continue to use it in the phone.

The other day I found a deal on a Sandisk 32 GB micro SD card, so I
bought it. Like the Transcend, it came with an adapter. My plan was to
use it as additional storage on the laptop. However, like its
predecessors, it mounts read-only.

Here is some command line information:

$dmesg |tail
[51144.370076] mmcblk0: mmc0:e624 SU32G 29.7 GiB (ro)
[51144.370190]  mmcblk0: p1

$ mount
/dev/mapper/vg_devil8-lv_root on / type ext4 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/jjj/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=jjj) /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/D198-2DA6 type vfat
(ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=500,gid=500,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)

I suspect I need to add it to fstab and specify somehow that it is to
be mounted read-write. In the process, I'd like to name it something
other than mmcblk0p1. I read man fstab, but couldn't figure out exactly
how to do this. Or maybe fstab is not the way to fix the problem.

Suggestions?