[PLUG] SD cards always mount read-only

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Oct 8 05:24:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 15:03:28 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> I suspect I need to add it to fstab and specify somehow that it is
>> to be mounted read-write. In the process, I'd like to name it
>> something other than mmcblk0p1. I read man fstab, but couldn't
>> figure out exactly how to do this. Or maybe fstab is not the way to
>> fix the problem.
>
>John,
>
>   Create a mount point for it; e.g., /mnt/tinycard/. Then, as root,
> tail and
>follow /var/log/messages (tail -f /var/log/messages) and insert the
>card and adapter in a USB port. You'll see the name of the device
>assigned to that port; e.g., sdb1.
>
>   Then, in /etc/fstab create a line for it to be mounted. Here I have
>several external USB devices that I mount as needed:
>
>/dev/sdb         /mnt/thumb       vfat        noauto,users,rw  0   0
>/dev/sdc         /mnt/flashdrive  vfat        noauto,users,rw  0   0
>/dev/sdb1        /mnt/zip         vfat        noauto,users,rw  0   0
>
>   Now, when you insert your SD card you can type
> 'mount /mnt/tinycard' and
>it should be there.
>
>   In my case, the problem is remembering which device is associated
> with
>which mount point. :-)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I must have failed to follow the
instructions and it did not work.

I started by creating /media/SD as the future mount point.

Then I manually ejected and reinserted the card and did #tail
-f /var/log/messages. At first I saw references to mmc0, so I assumed
that mmc0 was the name of the device. So I added:

/dev/mmc0 /media/SD vfat noauto,users,rw 0 0

To /etc/fstab.

After altering /etc/fstab I manually ejected and then reinserted the
card. But now it no longer appears at all. And tail
-f /var/log/messages just shows an error:

Oct  7 22:01:14 Devil8 kernel: [81894.186265] mmc0: error -110 whilst
initialising SD card

So I commented out the new line in /etc/fstab and tried again, but now
all I can get is the above error message. Note that it won't mount
anywhere, even without the reference to mmc0 in /etc/fstab.

Dmesg has also stopped reporting anything. With the card manually
ejected I get:

[root at Devil8 jjj]# dmesg |tail
<snipped irrelevant messages>
[81894.186265] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

After reinserting the card I get the same exact message. It's not
reacting to the eject and reinsert.

Maybe I broke the card while ejecting and reinserting?