[PLUG] Display of foreign characters on Web form

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Oct 8 07:43:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 23:44:09 -0700 (PDT)
Robert Kopp <iconoklastic at yahoo.com> dijo:

>I now have what seems like a trivial problem, but I expect to
>encounter similar situations in the future. I have an account on
>vkrugudruzei, a Russian-language social site. I am able to type in
>either English or Russian and have it displayed properly to the
>recipient of a message.
>
>Someone there mentioned that their native language was actually
>Armenian. I added that keyboard, and it is displayed properly here,
>though I don't know what it says:
>
>սիտօենգիելնղիտ
>However, in the message received, all these characters appear as
>question marks. Does anyone know what the problem is? (I'm using
>64-bit Natty, though I suppose this issue is more general in nature.)
>Robert "Tim" Kopp http://analytic.tripod.com/

When glyphs appear as question marks, empty spaces, or blank
rectangles, that means that the font used to display the message lacks
the required glyphs. The solution is to go into the preferences or
setup for the application in question and change its default or display
font to one that contains the necessary glyphs.

As for Armenian, you can see the phonology and characters required to
render it in their native script on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_language

You might also search on Unicode character sets. I'm positive that there
is one for Armenian, although I don't know the beginning and ending
code points. Most desktops today (Gnome, KDE, etc.) come with a font
viewer applet that should display the glyphs in the fonts that you have
installed. Once you know the Unicode section for Armenian, you can
scroll down to see which of your fonts contain the necessary glyphs.

You may also find help in your package manager. If you search on
Armenian you may find font packages that you can install from your
repositories.

Although I find their religio-political actions abhorrent, the Summer
Institute of Linguistics (SIL) may offer additional fonts and resources.