[PLUG] SD cards always mount read-only

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 11 13:23:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I find it very strange that my phone has no problem with it; it's just my
> Thinkpad that can't write to it.

John,

   Wasn't it you who wrote a few months ago about reading somewhere that
phone sd cards should be formatted only in the phone? And that all writes
should be done in the portable device?

   I know that I formatted the sd cards for my friend's new digital still
camera, and my new video camcorder, in the devices. Both can be read and
written to in the computer ... that's the vfat type assigned to /mnt/zip in
my /etc/fstab/.. When I copy the files from my Panasonic camera I delete
them from the card. Perhaps Android phones need total control. But, not
being able to read them in your laptop is quite strange.