[PLUG] suPHP -- Any Gotchas?

Ronald Chmara ronabop at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 18:09:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
> SpiritOne will be replacing PHP with suPHP for their Economy Web Hosting
> accounts. Are there any gotchas I need to worry about?

1. No shared code between users.
2. No optimization of shared code between users (think APC/eAccelerator caches)
3. PHP is running as a CGI, so 200 concurrent requests = 200 apache
processes + 200 PHP processes (twice as many processes).
4. suPHP is *very* picky about what uid is linked to what files are requested.
5. suPHP is *very* tightly jailed, so things like debian/ubuntu's
phpmyadmin packages will not work with default settings.... the vhost
settings really need to be dialed in.
6. Of course, based on 1-5, sharing data between different PHP
processes is magnitudes more difficult, and needs to be done on a
different layer (such as a database).

These, of course, are all "features", not bugs. :)

-Ronabop