[PLUG] SD cards always mount read-only

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Oct 12 20:01:33 UTC 2011

Amy> We boot a couple of older eee PCs from SD cards, my dude has a
Amy> 8gb one that he uses for the filesystem and updates the Ubuntu
Amy> install on periodically. I have an MSI that quite happily reads
Amy> SanDisk and other brands in Ubuntu but my sister's Acer has a
Amy> long history of Not Working. No hardware support for it at
Amy> all. My Droid Pro and the HTC Eris I had will mount the phone as
Amy> a filesystem quite happily in Ubuntu, I connect it with the usb
Amy> cable and it will open up a file browser. The irony being that I
Amy> can't get the phone to mount in Windows, I have to remove the
Amy> card and stick it in an adapter.

This is only vaguely related, but I've been looking for a way to wedge
this into the current thread and you mentioned eee's ...

I have an old eeepc 701 (the original) that recently decided it's SD
card reader didn't want to work anymore.  I get an I/O error at a
particular block.  The SD card is actually fine, it works in a USB
adapter and in a different machine's SD card reader.  Something
apparently went haywire either mechanically or electrically with the
reader.  You-dumb-too needs 4.4 gig to install, which makes the 4gig
solid-state drive inadequate and a functional SD reader rather
desirable.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net