[PLUG] Ubuntu running by default on a Mac

Fernando Freire freire14 at up.edu
Wed Oct 12 22:03:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Isaac Lewis <ikelewis678 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I am wondering if anyone has some tips about running Ubuntu by default on a
> mac. I have heard that it can be quite tricky, and I wonder if that is true
> or not.
>
> Would the best approach be to install Ubuntu as the base OS and then OSX in
> a partition? Would that even work with OSX's install process?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Isaac

My experience with any Linux distribution running on Apple hardware is
to be aware of the model you are attempting to use. Both the newer
Macbook Air's and iMac's use custom GPU's, which the nouveau drivers
will _not_ play nice with.

Other than that, best practice dictates that you follow through with
the Apple supported BootCamp method for setting up your partitions,
and then rather than installing Windows, install Ubuntu instead. This
works, although there is some manual fixing after the install, IIRC
GRUB won't be configured properly because Apple's EFI does wonky
things. Hope this helps!

-FF-