[PLUG] Accessing Files through CD based OS (Ubuntu 10.040

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sun Oct 16 22:14:48 UTC 2011

My desktop machine croaked overnight. Fortunately I had already copied
most of my laptop which is now running Ubuntu 10.04. This afternoon I'm
using the Ubuntu install CD in try-out mode to look for and copy things
more stuff. It's been working fine for most files but I've run into some
that won't copy due to permissions problems. In the Gnome file browser
the icons for individual files in some of my directories have an X in
the upper right hand corner. If I right click on them and look at the
Permissions tab of the file's Properties I get the message: "You are not
the owner, so you cannot change these permissions."

How do I become the owner using the CD based OS? Or is there some other
way I can copy these files?

Thanks.

--
Regards,