[PLUG] Program fails to start

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 06:14:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 23:05, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:

> In the words of the great philosopher Homer, D'oh!

well, it's not the solution you were looking for, but as the perl
folks put it, there's more than one way to do it =)

> I wonder why that never showed up while I was Googling. I never thought
> to look in Synaptic. Thanks for pointing it out.

man, i hate firing up synaptic to search.  i found it in 3 seconds
with 'apt-cache search transcribe'.

another nifty tool which would have worked even better (had the
utility you started out looking for been part of any of my repos) is
apt-file (which searches in the list of filenames that could get
installed with packages (vs dpkg -S which can search only in actually
installed filenames)).  it's handy because, for instance, you can
figure out that some random program you saw once belongs to some
completely other package (apt-file search pnmarith => netpbm).

it's one of the first packages i install after any ubuntu or debian
installation (see also: openssh-server, screen, vim).