[PLUG] Is Qwest/Centurylink a good ISP?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Oct 18 07:33:31 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Ken" == Ken Stephens <kens at cad2cam.com> writes:

Russell> If your ISP is Aracnet then Qwest/CenturyLink shouldn't
Russell> (can't) be filtering anything.  If they are, that would be
Russell> big news.  If you ISP is Aracnet, then the phone company
Russell> should be shuffling your bits directly to them untouched.
Russell> They are strictly providing transit in that scenario and the
Russell> content of the bits are strictly none of their business.  I
Russell> would strongly suspect that the port 25 filtering was
Russell> occuring somewhere else, either at your end or Aracnet's or
Russell> maybe it was a figment of your imagination entirely, due
Russell> perhaps to confusing stimuli (as sometimes happens).

Russell> FWIW, I also have Aracnet over CenturyLink copper and the
Russell> fact that I am still getting mail implies that my port 25 is
Russell> not being filtered.

Ken> I may be confused as you say.  I checked all my routers and none
Ken> have any port 25 blocking enabled.  My network has the DSL modem
Ken> -> wireless router -> house router.  The house router is a
Ken> firewall and NAT for my desktops.  The wireless router is
Ken> strickly for wireless connections and does NAT for the house
Ken> modem.  The DSL modem does NAT for the wireless router.  So
Ken> somewhere there could be a closed port 25, but I sure did not see
Ken> it here.

Ah, atlas's ISP is qwest.net.  Slate is the shell host at aracnet.com,
iirc.  So, it seems you have an account at Aracnet, but they aren't
providing your DSL.

You can try:

  $ tcptraceroute <destination-host> 25

to see which hop drops your port 25 traffic.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net