[PLUG] Program fails to start

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:08:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:14 PM, chris (fool) mccraw <gently at gmail.com> wrote:

> another nifty tool which would have worked even better (had the
> utility you started out looking for been part of any of my repos) is
> apt-file (which searches in the list of filenames that could get
> installed with packages (vs dpkg -S which can search only in actually
> installed filenames)).  it's handy because, for instance, you can
> figure out that some random program you saw once belongs to some
> completely other package (apt-file search pnmarith => netpbm).

apt-file++

It's also great for tracking down the -dev package you need to get a
./configure script to work.

$ apt-file search <the .h file configure can't find>

You usually need to narrow the results a bit (there are only so many
names for header files, and you need the right one) but it's a great
start.

--Rogan