[PLUG] nscd

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Oct 18 17:41:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:

> as i tediously await the end of a wget process that is taking 5
> seconds to resolve the same hostname over and over again to finish
> mirroring this slow, distant site, i consider putting the hostname
> into /etc/hosts.
>
> and then i wonder whatever happened to nscd?

The first question I'd ask is, why is your local DNS resolver not
caching the results. Most sites provide DNS TTLs of over an hour; the
exceptions are fast-changing distributed sites like Google which
provide TTLs of just a few minutes.

For most sites, however, your local nameserver should return the
address for a frequently asked hostname in just 10s of milliseconds.

Who provides your DNS service?

> why is it no longer standard (on ubuntu at least) to have a name
> service caching daemon?

I know that Fedora and Red Hat are migrating away from nscd to sssd,
which (afaict) is intended strictly for authentication caching and
doesn't support DNS caching.

> caching is generally awesome, and while i can find no evidence that
> nscd was standard in ubuntu even as far back as release 6.06 (man, i
> really need to make it back to texas to upgrade that machine!
> shudder.),

Even on machines I manage that rely on nscd, I don't use it to cache
DNS results. I'd rather setup a caching nameserver. Use aptitude to
search for dnsmasq, a lightweight DSN forwarder.