[PLUG] Temp directory weirdness

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Tue Oct 18 21:20:53 UTC 2011

I have a perl script that I wrote that is supposed to query a service, then write the results to a file in the temp directory. It exits, then another script comes along and parses that file at intervals. For weird reasons, I need to do it this way rather than have the parsing script query the service itself.

I have the following routine in my perl script:

sub writetemp {
    open (NEWFILE, ">/tmp/$0.count") or die $!;
    print NEWFILE "$product{name}.value $product{value} $date";
    close (NEWFILE);
}

This works like a champ when I run the script from the command line.

But when I run the script from roots cron, no output file is produced. I've also tried producing the file in a subdirectory within the /root home directory, with the same results.

Anyone have any ideas?

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net