[PLUG] urxvt/rxvt-unicode issue

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Wed Oct 19 18:51:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:09:54 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>    If anyone here is using urxvt please point me to a source of
> help in resolving an annoying issue. When I cd to a
> subdirectory several levels below where I start, the display of
> any command is truncated at the left edge of the virtual
> terminal instead of wrapping to a second line.
>
>    This did not occur with regular rxvt and I do not see a
> command line option in the man page that might be appropriate
> to fix this.
>
>    All suggestions and pointers appreciated.
>
> Rich

If there isn't a command line switch for autowrap (aka linewrap,
aka wraparound, etc.), it's normally handled by an escape sequence
that is sent when the terminal is initialized.  This is handled by
the TERMINFO facility.  In order for that to work correctly,
though, you must have your TERM environment variable set
correctly.  The "-tn rxvt-unicode" switch should do that for you.
(At least on my system, there is an rxvt-unicode terminfo entry,
but not one for urxvt.  YMMV, check in your TERMINFO database,
normally located in /usr/share/*.)

--Dale

--
No user serviceable parts inside.  Close cover before striking.
Batteries not included.  Keep hands clear of moving parts.  Do