[PLUG] urxvt/rxvt-unicode issue

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 19 19:10:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, Dale Snell wrote:

> If there isn't a command line switch for autowrap (aka linewrap, aka
> wraparound, etc.), ...

Dale,

   I didn't see such a switch in the man pages.

> ... it's normally handled by an escape sequence that is sent when the
> terminal is initialized.  This is handled by the TERMINFO facility.  In
> order for that to work correctly, though, you must have your TERM
> environment variable set correctly.  The "-tn rxvt-unicode" switch should
> do that for you. (At least on my system, there is an rxvt-unicode terminfo
> entry, but not one for urxvt.  YMMV, check in your TERMINFO database,
> normally located in /usr/share/*.)

   In /usr/share/terminfo/r/ are rxvt-unicode and rxvt-unicode-256colors. In
/etc/DIR_COLORS I added 'TERM rxvt-unicode' after learning that 'TERM urxvt'
meant nothing to the system.

   I just added '-tn rxvt-unicode' to the command line; no difference. Here's
what I see when I cd to a deep subdirectory:

</washington/echo-bay-exploration/bore-holes-wq/
</washington/echo-bay-exploration/bore-holes-wq/
<
<q/

   This is on Slackware-13.1/32-bit running Xfce. It's quite distracting to
see this rather than the wrapped lines that vanilla rxvt displayed.

Thanks,