[PLUG] duplicating window in X?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Oct 19 19:25:14 UTC 2011

I assume it is possible to duplicate the same identical graphic
window from the same client on two different X displays ("servers").

Can this be done, how is it done, and what is the process called?

The tricky part is that each X display has a keyboard and a mouse.
When the operator of each display moves their mouse into the window,
I would expect the mouse movements to be combined somehow, and the
text stream from each keyboard to be combined also.  Perhaps there
is no good way do do that, and so displaying the same client on two
displays simultaneously won't work.

Why?  Imagine a clerk working with a customer to collaboratively
fill out a form, both having mice and keyboards.

The other way to do it is to use a video splitter box and display
the same screen image on two screens, from a computer with two mice
and two keyboards on it (easy to do with USB hubs).  That does not
permit different windows on the rest of the screen. and asynchronous
activities - the customer looking up stuff on a browser while the
clerk consults a PDF policy manual, for example, then returning to
the form to work together.  It also requires both participants to
be in one place.

Keith