[PLUG] Reconfigure Gingerbread or Reconfigure Wireless Router

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Thu Oct 20 08:19:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:12 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> That is, I thought that changing the password on the WRT54G would be
> easy. Opening a web browser page and trying to connect to
> http://192.168.0.103 results in "problem loading page." This happens
> even from my laptop and even when the laptop is connected to the WRT54G
> via the laptop's own wireless hardware. That is, I can't connect to
> the web-based configuration page for the WRT54G whether the laptop is
> connected via ethernet, via its wireless to the WRT54G, or via both.
>
> I could use some clues.

If this thing you are calling an ethernet switch is actually a router or is
connected to a router, then you have two routers and two networks. The
ethernet switch network and the WRT54G network. The ethernet switch is
giving out IP addresses on one network, the WRT54G is giving out addresses
on another network.  If  that is the case then 192.168.0.103 is the address
given to the WRT54G by the ethernet switch.  Something that connects to the
WRT54G directly by wireless gets an IP address on its subnet. Let's guess
192.168.1.?, not 192.168.0.?   The WRT54G is by default configured to allow
access to its configuration only if you  are in it's subnet.  So, to
configure the WRT54G connect to the WRT54G via the laptop with wireless. The
laptop will get an address from the WRT54G. Check to see what that IP
address is. Then from the laptop point the browser to
http://192.168.?.0where ? is on the WRT54G network.

Bill