[PLUG] Patient records on Live CD

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Oct 20 15:26:03 UTC 2011

My wife's new clinic will be running OpenEMR, an open source
medical records program.  Sometimes patients (or their other
doctors) want copies of their records.  Rather than kill trees,
I am thinking about putting their patient record on a stripped
down linux live CD, along with a specially configured version
of OpenEMR.

This would have interesting "evangelistic" consequences for
both Linux and OpenEMR.

To do this properly, the patient data portions of the live
CD should be password encrypted.  Also, it would be nice
to have a very fast CD writer, with some kind of automagic
labelling system so that the CD gets a readable label before
it is handled by people (we don't want to accidentally swap
the CDs going to two different patients).

A live CD has the additional advantage that we are no longer
dependent on the patient's own dodgy home PC security for
protecting their medical information.  If they want, they
could probably mount their hard drive and copy the information
to it, but anyone smart enough to do that may be slightly
more clueful about security, and assumes responsibility in
any case.

And as I understand it, many Linux Live CDs boot on intel
Mac hardware reasonably well.

How does this sound?  Would you like your own doctor to
do something like this?

Keith