[PLUG] duplicating window in X?

Steve Beattie steve at nxnw.org
Thu Oct 20 18:10:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:25:14PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I assume it is possible to duplicate the same identical graphic
> window from the same client on two different X displays ("servers").
>
> Can this be done, how is it done, and what is the process called?
>
> The tricky part is that each X display has a keyboard and a mouse.
> When the operator of each display moves their mouse into the window,
> I would expect the mouse movements to be combined somehow, and the
> text stream from each keyboard to be combined also.  Perhaps there
> is no good way do do that, and so displaying the same client on two
> displays simultaneously won't work.
>
> Why?  Imagine a clerk working with a customer to collaboratively
> fill out a form, both having mice and keyboards.

In addition to the suggestions around vnc, you might also look at
xpra <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xpra>, which is intended to be
screen for X (and has a lighter weight protocol than vnc). I don't know
for sure if it can have multiple clients attached to the same xpra
server.

--
Steve Beattie
<sbeattie at ubuntu.com>