[PLUG] Patient records on Live CD

Richard Owlett rowlett at pcnetinc.com
Thu Oct 20 22:55:57 UTC 2011

Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> My wife's new clinic will be running OpenEMR, an open source
> medical records program.  Sometimes patients (or their other
> doctors) want copies of their records.  Rather than kill trees,
> I am thinking about putting their patient record on a stripped
> down linux live CD, along with a specially configured version
> of OpenEMR.
>
> /massive *SNIP* ;/
>
> How does this sound?  Would you like your own doctor to
> do something like this?

Like something that would cause me to run screaming "M'Aide!
M'Aide!" to
another provider.

Why?
I really like the idea of privacy and security where my
personal records
are concerned.

I'm essentially speaking as J. Q. Public. [but with a LITTLE
bit of background]
Been a computer USER since days of vacuum tubes, Hollerith
cards, and line-printers.
I would never claim appellation of "programmer" though I've
written/maintained programs.

DO NOT FLOUT HIPPA CONFORMANCE!
HIPPA == flim-flam
I spent an unconscious week without relatives knowing
*ANYTHING* due to HIPPA.
I've had demands for irrelevant personal info under guise of
"HIPPO requires".

As described, I _perceive_ 'password protection' as single
point and weak potential single point failure.

P.S. - My "Primary Care" physician's employer was offering
something similar ~18+ months ago. I laughed at it. On my
next semi-annual visit I noticed that it was no longer being
promoted/advertised ;/

I live in SW MO. My email is valid. The OP and other
providers are invited to ask specific questions.