[PLUG] USB and Wine

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Oct 21 01:53:21 UTC 2011

On 10/20/2011 05:00 PM, Aaron Burt wrote:

> If you had a Linux program that would play sound files, and let you control
> it with the footpedal, would you still need Express Scribe?

One of the advantages of ES is the time position in the recording.
Transcribing a 2 hour interview can take 6-8 hours, depending on the
noise and the pacing of the speaker. So having a way to return to the
place where I stopped is important. ES remembers where that point is
between sessions. The transcription program I used up until a few weeks
ago most times remembers the position, but for times when it forgets it,
it has a "jump to" command that can put me there easily.

Speaking of that other program, I put a link to it in one of the
postings of that thread from May I found on an archiving site this
morning, so I'll be able to go see if there's been more activity with
it. I should have some time to do that tomorrow.

> Also, I think there's a way to send keyboard commands to a background window.

That could be useful. I'd actually prefer to use the program I was using
all summer, but if I can't figure that out, sending commands from the
foot pedal to the Wine window in the background will be worth a shot.

Thanks for the thoughts.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens