[PLUG] Choosing an nVidia card

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Fri Oct 21 16:37:20 UTC 2011

On Oct 21, 2011, at 7:47 AM, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> Meaning two electrical connections for the same image? Derek's comment
> regarding a card with two DVI outputs suggests two separate images.

That depends on the card. Some will drive two different monitors at the same time, with different images. Others, only one port is active at a time. It should be in the specs of the card as to what they do. Since you are looking at a new (to you at least) card, I'd go with a dual DVI, which would almost always be to drive two monitors with different images. The expanded real estate of a dual screen setup is hard to give up once you've experienced it.

Incidentally, the difference between an HDMI and a DVI output, besides the shape of the connector, is that HDMI includes the sound signals. That's why adapters from HDMI to DVI are so inexpensive.

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net