[PLUG] strange hotplug drive behavior

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 21:42:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 14:36, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 01:59:57PM -0700, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
>> of course.  the bottleneck on their network is samba's available
>> transfer speed (did i mention that the render nodes are windows?)
>
> You got me curious about SMB performace optimization, and I stumbled
> across: http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Linux_Performance
>
> They claim a 66% bump in SMB write performance.

if only i'd been benchmarking writes!  i just benchmarked reads.  the
fileserver can crank out nfs at near-wirespeed (2Gbit (bonded)) esp
when working with cached files (on the raid card or in host mem), but
only seems to send smb at around 300mbits.  strangely, it sends out
multiple streams at that speed just fine, but none are faster than
that even when streaming a single one all alone.

i have to admit i was not paid to improve this, just profile it.