[PLUG] Establishing Proper Line Wrapping In Virtual Terminal

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 21 21:54:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:

> what version are you using?  i have several, one that works is 9.06 and
> another is 9.09.

   9.12

> what is the termcap or terminfo for the terminal?

   /usr/share/terminfo/r/ has entries for rxvt-unicode and
rxvt-unicode-256color.

   I thought someone suggested entries to /etc/termcap that I had put in
/etc/termcap-BSD, but I find no references to rxvt-unicode or urxvt in
either of those files.

> hmm, so you think that it is a shell issue, not a terminal issue? (that is
> what the attempted solution above does.  have you made certain that the
> shell does in fact become a login shell, listens to
> .inputrc, and that your xresources are taking effect?

   I've always used the '-ls' option for the virtual terminals. I think it's
a terminal issue, but I'll try anyone's suggestions to resolve the problem.

> btw, you can "source" the .Xresources file with xrdb like so:p xrdb <
> ~/.Xresources (then run a new copy of urxvt from any shell or menu or
> whatever--that affects all of xwin).

   No difference.

> what shell are you using?

bash-4.1.007

> well, if you are worried this is a shell issue, have you tried a
> different shell so you can verify whether or not it is urxvt at fault?
> like, install and try zsh or tcsh and see if they behave the same.

   Chris, I assumed it was a terminal issue since rxvt, xterm, and other
terminals did not exhibit this behavior. When suggestions referencing the
shell were provided on the slackware mail list I tried them. So, I'm not
'worried' this is a shell issue. If I switch back to rxvt the line wrap
problem goes away. Same shell, same distribution, same everything, but no
UTF-8 support.

> Rxvt.font:              -sony-*-*-*-*-*-24-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
> Rxvt.reverseVideo:      true
> Rxvt.loginShell:        true
> Rxvt.colorUL:           Cyan3
> Rxvt.color4:            RoyalBlue
> Rxvt.color12:           RoyalBlue
> Rxvt*saveLines:         10000
> Rxvt.cutchars:          `()*,;<>[]{|}\

   All I have in ~/.Xdefaults related to rxvt and urxvt are:

rvxt*loginShell:true
URxvt.font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1
URxvt.boldFont: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1
urxvt*loginShell: true