[PLUG] Ubuntu live disk hangs shortly after loading

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Oct 22 21:42:35 UTC 2011

My wife decided she'd like to know more about the hardware on her
machine without opening up the box. So we booted the Ubuntu 10.04 live
CD in try it out mode. I successfully ran lshw -html and saved the
output to the Ubuntu desktop. I then tried mounting her hard drive so I
could put a copy of the html file there. The machine hung. I rebooted,
ran lshw, and tried logging into my Comcast e-mail account through
Firefox. I got as far as the Comcast page before logging in and the
machine hung. I tried once more, this time trying to mount a drive on
one of my running machines. My wife's machine hung. All we wanted was
the model number of the mother board, which I wrote down during one of
the attempts.

Her machine booted back up in XP with no problems.

Any ideas what would cause Ubuntu to hang in such a simple situation?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens