[PLUG] Very Slow Downloads

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 17:29:12 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Russell Johnson <russ at dimstar.net> wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2011, at 8:29 AM, Matt McKenzie wrote:
>
> > One of the reasons for the disparity in download speeds between direct
> > connection to cable modem, and through the router, could be due to the
> > router not supporting DOCSIS 3.0 standard, which your cable modem very
> > likely does support now (or very likely must support, to attain those
> speeds
> > and maintain communication upstream)
>
> Assuming:
>
> --[cable modem]----[router/switch]----[end computers]
>
> and that the cable modem is translating the DOCSIS 3.0 to ethernet, why
> would the router need to support DOCSIS 3.0?
>
> Russell Johnson
> russ at dimstar.net

That is logical and could be accurate.
I do not have first hand knowledge of this, I am not a cable subscriber
myself.  My boss for my secondary job, which is tech support, suggested that
during an issue where a customer had a similar problem, that the router
being too old might be causing problems.  The customer replaced the router
and it worked better- granted that does not necessarily mean the DOCSIS
incompatibility was the issue, but he said it was related.  It could have
also been an all-in-one cable modem + router type of situation, in which
case replacing the "router" would also replace the modem, thus upgrading to
one that supported DOCSIS 3.0.

But it does tend to fit the data, when plugged in directly to cable modem he
gets 19MBs, when through the router he gets around 9MBs- in any case trying
the WRT routers should help narrow this down.