[PLUG] Any comments on SLAX?

Richard Owlett rowlett at pcnetinc.com
Wed Oct 26 00:30:23 UTC 2011

On a language related forum I asked for recommendation of a
small distro that would be attractive to users of that
forum. Slackware was one recommended, though I'd hardly call
it small ;/ A Google search then gave SLAX as being
Slackware based.

I find the idea of only downloading the modules you will
actually use attractive. It claims to be easily installed on
a USB stick and has dialers for analog modems, two absolute
requirements for me. I haven't yet assembled a list of
modules to download so I don't know how large my initial
download will be. It should be significantly smaller than
Debian or Ubuntu which are the two top contenders for
functionality {I'll not down load an office suite nor a
browser I wouldn't use - just two annoying features of
popular distros).

Any SLAX users with comments/suggestions?

Thank you