[PLUG] Ubuntu release party Sat night.

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Oct 26 04:40:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:54:54 -0700
C W <elcaseti at gmail.com> dijo:

>Speaking of Unity/GNOME 3,  don't forget that KDE 4 is much faster than
>GNOME 3 (with or without Unity).  From what I've seen, most people
>(myself included) find KDE 4 to be more intuitive & user friendly than
>Unity.

I have used Gnome all my Linux life, originally on Ubuntu and now on
Fedora. I have KDE installed, but every time I try it I find it not to
my taste. However, Fedora 15 came out with Gnome 3, and from what I
have seen on the live CD I am not going to like it at all. I am still
running Fedora 14 so as not to have to deal with Gnome 3, but soon I
will be semi-forced to upgrade, as Fedora only supports the current and
one release back, and Fedora 16 will be coming out soon.

I am planning on spending some time in KDE to see if I can tweak it to
my liking. Hint: I hate icons and I want my desktop utterly clear, not
even wallpaper.

>Will there be any Kubuntu representation at the Ubuntu release party?
>I live near Seattle, so I won't be able to make it there to promote KDE
>myself.

I was there, but I don't recall much mention of Kubuntu. I did get a
cool Oneiric Ocelot t-shirt, though. In fact, I think there were some
t-shirts left over. And I got an official regular Ubuntu CD.

And, like most everyone else, I had to look up 'oneiric.' Shuttleworth
seems to be stretching these days. :)