[PLUG] open source IP hard phones?

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Oct 26 17:26:49 UTC 2011

(netiquette note: when starting a new discussion, start a new thread kthx)
On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 08:40:30PM -0700, C W wrote:
> I was given 2 Cisco Analog Telephone Adapters.  There are both model
> 186/188.  I'm wondering what I can use them for, & if they use SIP?

Google sez Cisco sez they're SIP.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cata/186_188/2_15/english/administration/guide/sip/SIP88CH1.html

You can use them to attach analog phones (e.g. yer typical cordless phone,
or even a FAX machine) to an Asterisk server or a VoIP service (such as
CallCentric.)

If you have a cellphone and don't make or receive international calls from
home much, you probably don't have much use for one.

Note the international angle: immigrants with internet at home would be
well served by someone with ATAs or hardphones and some VoIP knowledge.
Currently, they use cheezy calling cards and by-the-minute cellphones.

The fact that you can get local numbers in major cities around the world
means that their families could call them back cheaply, too.