[PLUG] open source IP hard phones?

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Oct 26 20:58:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 04:44:29PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> The problem is the handsets, which seem to be designed to
> block information, to follow the script that the phone
> designer had in mind, rather than permit behavioral creativity.

Linkdump:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Cisco+79XX+XML+Services
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/firmware/sip_cucm/8_12/english/release/notes/796040sip_812.html
http://www.minded.ca/default/2009-12-16/configure-cisco-ip-phones-with-asterisk/
http://www.minded.ca/default/2010-12-29/cisco-xml-services-framework/

* The dedicated buttons can be made to work with Asterisk.
* There is an XML browser system for defining custom menus and services.

If you had any extra phones, and if I had a few evenings to spare, I'd
totally get into playing with these.  It looks like there's a lot of
potential there, and I've often wanted to work on an Asterisk-based
replacement for the (horrible and very expensive) Cisco Call Manager.