[PLUG] Old television shows and Linux...

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Sep 2 04:32:11 UTC 2011

Star Trek Voyager ended in like 2001 or so.  Star Trek Deep Space Nine
was over about the same time or sooner than that.  My dad has lots of
recordings of episodes, but they are probably low quality and his
collection is undoubtedly incomplete.  I want him to throw them out,
these VHS tapes take up a lot of space.  He probably will throw them
out if I can get DVD copies of both series.  I'll be happy if I can
master to mpeg4 files say 3 or 4, no more than 14 please, DVDs.  That
takes up a lot less space than say 30+ VHS tapes.  Question, is there
an inexpensive alternative to startrek.com's $300+ DVD sets?  Problem 1,
that is a lot of money for a series that I've watched most of.  Problem
2, I'm concerned that these DVD's won't copy so I can play them off of
hard disk under CentOS 5.6.

What do people think of http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/ ?

I am not so sure that I like the you have won redirects that they do,
they give you very little time to claim whatever and they want a cell
phone number.  What's worse, it looks like they don't have a complete
episode set for either of the Star Trek series that I mentioned earlier.
The site seems too good to be true to me.  Does anyone know of a
legitimate site where you download as mp4s specific old television shows
very inexpensively or free?

With MythTV so popular, I wonder if there are any Linux enthusiast
networks that share decent quality recordings of old shows? Why reinvent
the wheel if I don't have to?

What I don't want to do is download a low quality knockoff from some
random site and get in trouble.  I see nothing wrong with someone who
has a decent recording of what I want sharing it with me for very little
or nothing.