[PLUG] Old television shows and Linux...

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Sep 2 16:34:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 09:21 -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 09:32:11PM -0700, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> > Star Trek Voyager ended in like 2001 or so.  Star Trek Deep Space Nine
> <snip>
>
> Answered on PLUG-Talk.
>
> Please do try to be a better citizen,
>   Aaron
Excuse you.  This is not a PLUG-talk topic considering that using a
Linux based server as the media server is a PLUG topic.  I'm trying to
ask what is legal as far as recording of live television and long term
archival of those recordings.  I'm also trying to ask, what is there to
stop me legally from copying copyrighted commercial DVDs that I have
purchased where I intend to air the copy privately from my Linux based
server?  If there are legal verses illegal ways to go about this, I want
to know about that.  Do TiVOs and the like not keep the recording long
term?  How about services like Comcast's On Demand?  If I were to
publish a HOWTO on recording live television with a Linux based server
or converting DVDs/Blu Rays to a file for private viewing, would that be
illegal?  The technical question of can it be done seems to be answered,
the problem is what about the legal side of this?  From a technical
standpoint, there is very little difference from a digital recording on
a hard disk verses one on a Blu Ray disc.  As far as the don't talk
about this comments, if this isn't ever talked about publicly it
definitely won't be legal and people not doing it will make it even less
so.