[PLUG] Old television shows and Linux...

MJang mike at linuxexam.com
Fri Sep 2 17:47:11 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 09:34 -0700, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 09:21 -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 09:32:11PM -0700, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> > > Star Trek Voyager ended in like 2001 or so.  Star Trek Deep Space Nine
> > <snip>
> >
> > Answered on PLUG-Talk.
> >
> > Please do try to be a better citizen,
> >   Aaron
> Excuse you.  This is not a PLUG-talk topic considering that using a
> Linux based server as the media server is a PLUG topic.  I'm trying to
> ask what is legal as far as recording of live television and long term
> archival of those recordings.  I'm also trying to ask, what is there to
> stop me legally from copying copyrighted commercial DVDs that I have
> purchased where I intend to air the copy privately from my Linux based
> server?  If there are legal verses illegal ways to go about this, I want
> to know about that.

Since you are asking questions on what is legal, on topics subject to
debate, I suggest that you consult a lawyer. As far as I know, there are
no lawyers on this list, or on plug-talk.

Furthermore, I suggest that you'll get a better response with kindness.
You ask for a lot of help on this list, and generally get it. Rarely do
I ever see you thanking anyone for their efforts here.

Thanks,
Mike