[PLUG] Netgear GS116 Gigabit switch died. Maybe.

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Sep 8 04:57:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, 23 May 2011 21:37:43 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>On Mon, 23 May 2011 18:55:39 -0700
>Neal <nsedell at gmail.com> dijo:
>
>>Here's a reference:
>>
>>http://qualapps.blogspot.com/2007/05/netgear-gs108-gige-switch-failure.html
>>
>>If you want to try fixing it I've got a bunch of 1000uF/6.3V caps
>>leftover from a party pack purchase from DigiKey.
>>
>>If you don't want to try fixing it perhaps you'd be interested in
>>selling/trading it to me?
>
>Fixing, selling, trading are all options. But the trip to Best Buy
>today was an emergency measure, as I had no other switches to
>substitute for it. Amazing how critical net access has become.
>
>What I really want is a gigabit 24-port switch, as I have a 24-port
>patch panel that is connected to the 20+ wired jacks in the house. Such
>are expensive, however.
>
>At the moment I need to put the discussion of fixing, trading or
>selling on hold

First, I forgot that I started this thread and today tried to send a
message starting a new thread. But, strangely, the pdx.edu mail server
couldn't deliver the message. Oh well.

It is now later and I have time to deal with the switch issue. I am not
good at fixing things. Plus, even if I fix it, how long will it last
before dying on me again? I'd rather give it away and get a new one.

But that means shopping, and all I know is that I want one that is 24
ports, gigabit rated, and manufactured by someone that has a good
reputation for reliability. Google found me 24-port gigabit switches
for as little as $115, but I don't know about the quality.

Does anyone have recommendations for brands and/or models that are
reliable?