[PLUG] Netgear GS116 Gigabit switch died. Maybe.

Rick rdoyle16+plug at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 21:54:27 UTC 2011

Good point about the fans, Galen.

FWIW, I THINK that the SMC I recommended also does NOT have a fan (although,
I may be thinking of the 16-port version).

The lack of a fan could be an issue (theoretically) if in a warm/hot
environment... but, again - not in my experience. Believe it or not, I work
in a formal IT dept. that has no A/C... it's currently 87 degrees at my desk
as I am writing this... and very few of my network closets have A/C either.
These SMC switches get used in a variety of rooms/areas around here - some
that get very warm (like my office) - and I've still had very good luck with
them over the past few years.