[PLUG] Asterisk, Fax, Faxmodem

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Sep 13 18:11:18 UTC 2011

My wife's new office will have 3 incoming PSTN voice lines and a
fax line, terminating on a home-brew Asterisk PBX.  These will
be existing phone numbers from her old office, with hunt-group
rollover, so we won't be moving those to VOIP for a while.  Over
time, we expect to replace most fax traffic with emailed PDFs.

I assume that rather than try to teach Asterisk and codecs
to handle the fax line, it will be easier to use a $20 PCI
fax/modem card (suggestions?), while using three FXO ports
for the incoming PSTN voice lines.

Is this plausible?

Keith