[PLUG] Determining Memory Chip Speed

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Sep 13 18:41:23 UTC 2011

I used "sudo dmidecode --type memory" to try to learn the speed of my
currently installed memory. (I'm thinking of adding some.) I find that I
have two 512 MB modules installed out of a possible 3 modules.

dmidecode says "Current Speed: Unknown" for both of those.

Is there some other way -- short of taking the cover off the box -- to
find out what speed the chips are?

Second question: Can I add a 1 GB module to the third socket or do I
need to replace the two 512 MB modules with 1 GB modules to get to 2 GB?

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens