[PLUG] PDF Security (WAS Asterisk, Fax, Faxmodem)

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Wed Sep 14 17:04:00 UTC 2011

On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:49 PM, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> It is good that you are asking this question.  This will be
> medical information, and part of Obamacare was staffing up
> the enforcement arm of HIPPA.  Doctors are starting to pay
> huge fines and may be soon going to prison because they did
> not get their IT security right.  Their staff and IT
> contractors may also be vulnerable.

In my particular case, it is financial information, including my SS#. The fact that these guys even asked me to send a PDF via email with that info on it gives me pause. They did have a fax alternative, but as you said, their are dangers there, albeit not as visible. It all comes down to what risks are we willing to take with confidential information.

I wish for a day where we did not have to be so paranoid about these things. Sadly, that will most likely never happen.

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net