[PLUG] Color LaserJet 2550L, Part II

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 14 22:13:42 UTC 2011

   Well, network gurus, I need your help again.

   Bought a JetDirect external print server 300X and hooked it up to the HP
Color LaserJet 2550L printer (I no longer have parallel printer cables and
Free Geek had only the Paleolithic dual-DB25-male cables ... after a search
in the back room). So, I bought a Centronics parallel cable at ENU and
connected the printer and print server.

   The 300x test function prints out 2 pages of network configuration. CUPS
(via the Web interface) automatically assigned the address of 192.168.55.101
and won't let me change it. I think the JetDirect has a dhcpd server
internally. According to the output from my pressing the 'test' button on
the 300x, the host name is NPIEED08D and is configured by DHCP. The IP
address is as above, but the server shows the BOOTP/DHCP server IP address
as 192.168.55.200. That's a big problem as that's been the address of the
local wireless access point for a half-dozen or so years.

   Result: I cannot print to the 2550L and when I try to use the CUPS web
interface it asks for a user and password, but says it sees 'CUPS' as the
user.

   Shutting off the printer restores the wireless access point.

   Can I just change the WAP's IP address in /etc/hosts to resolve this
problem, or is there more work I need to do?

TIA,