[PLUG] Color LaserJet 2550L, Part II

Kirk Goins kirkgoins at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 22:27:17 UTC 2011

The Jet Direct has 'no' dhcp server, just a client to receive and address.
If it is still conflicting with the wireless and you can live with out the
wireless for a few minutes... Telnet to the IP, ID admin  and just press
Enter to the pwd prompt.  Using Help or ? you should be able to figure out
hoe to set the Jet Direct to a static IP of your choice.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

>   Well, network gurus, I need your help again.
>
>   Bought a JetDirect external print server 300X and hooked it up to the HP
> Color LaserJet 2550L printer (I no longer have parallel printer cables and
> Free Geek had only the Paleolithic dual-DB25-male cables ... after a search
> in the back room). So, I bought a Centronics parallel cable at ENU and
> connected the printer and print server.
>
>   The 300x test function prints out 2 pages of network configuration. CUPS
> (via the Web interface) automatically assigned the address of
> 192.168.55.101
> and won't let me change it. I think the JetDirect has a dhcpd server
> internally. According to the output from my pressing the 'test' button on
> the 300x, the host name is NPIEED08D and is configured by DHCP. The IP
> address is as above, but the server shows the BOOTP/DHCP server IP address
> as 192.168.55.200. That's a big problem as that's been the address of the
> local wireless access point for a half-dozen or so years.
>
>   Result: I cannot print to the 2550L and when I try to use the CUPS web
> interface it asks for a user and password, but says it sees 'CUPS' as the
> user.
>
>   Shutting off the printer restores the wireless access point.
>
>   Can I just change the WAP's IP address in /etc/hosts to resolve this
> problem, or is there more work I need to do?
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

Kirk