[PLUG] Determining Memory Chip Speed

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Sep 15 04:42:24 UTC 2011

On 09/14/2011 08:52 PM, Ken Stephens wrote:

> Use the dmidecode command to display your hardware. Look for Memory
> Module Information. It will display the supported speeds.

Thanks, Ken. It shows the supported speeds, but not the installed
speeds. I'll open the box in the morning and have a look. I'll take that
info with me when I go buy the new memory.

The memory part of dmidecode:

Handle 0x0007, DMI type 5, 22 bytes
Memory Controller Information
     Error Detecting Method: 32-bit ECC
     Error Correcting Capabilities:
         Single-bit Error Correcting
     Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave
     Current Interleave: One-way Interleave
     Maximum Memory Module Size: 1024 MB
     Maximum Total Memory Size: 3072 MB
     Supported Speeds:
         70 ns
         60 ns
     Supported Memory Types:
         Standard
         FPM
         EDO
         Parity
         ECC
         SIMM
     Memory Module Voltage: 3.3 V
     Associated Memory Slots: 3
         0x0008
         0x0009
         0x000A
     Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities:
         Single-bit Error Correcting

Handle 0x0008, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
Memory Module Information
     Socket Designation: DIMM1
     Bank Connections: 1 0
     Current Speed: Unknown
     Type: DIMM SDRAM
     Installed Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
     Enabled Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
     Error Status: OK

Handle 0x0009, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
Memory Module Information
     Socket Designation: DIMM2
     Bank Connections: 3 2
     Current Speed: Unknown
     Type: DIMM SDRAM
     Installed Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
     Enabled Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
     Error Status: OK

Handle 0x000A, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
Memory Module Information
     Socket Designation: DIMM3