[PLUG] Why lpr Works ... or Doesn't

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 16 16:53:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Galen Seitz wrote:

> Rich, if you haven't already done so, I suggest taking a look at the cups
> log files.  On my CentOS system they are located under /var/log/cups.

Galen,

   Oops! Looking at the cups log completely escaped my attention.

> My best guess as to the problem is that the print data is not being passed
> through the appropriate filter/driver for your printer.

   Ectually, there's a write permission issue, but I don't know for whom:

E [15/Sep/2011:08:19:09 -0700] [cups-driverd] Unable to write
"/var/cache/cups/ppds.dat" - Permission denied

   Of course, it works for laser5_duplex and laser5_single, but not colorp. I
just changed the permissions on /var/log/cups/ to 777. Will test later.

Thanks for the reminder,